Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Define Your Own Perception, Part VIII


Photobucket
I love all bloggers, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't hold a special place in my heart for Military Spouses/Girlfriends. I especially love this post from Kait, because I am all too familiar with the judgments and assumptions that come with a military relationship.

Photobucket

First of all, thank you Janna for letting me take over today and use your space to get a few things straight on perception.

I'm Kait from GridIron Lipstick and I can be found writing about anything from my latest NFL adventure to what's cooking in my kitchen. But there's a couple constants--and one of those is my amazing boyfriend, Dane.


Dane is an Army Ranger stationed in Hawaii, where he proudly serves to protect your behind and mine simultaneously. Saying I'm proud of him would be an understatement. It wasn't always rainbows and unicorns. It still isn't--but what healthy relationship is?

Such a cutie!
When Dane and I were first introduced by a mutual friend--it was via text and phone--not in person. I had one photo of him the first time he called me. After that initial phone call, I knew he was something special. Dane and I wrote letters for four months while he endured Ranger School and--in turn--getting to know each other.

I faced adversity from friends who wondered why I was wasting time writing letters every single day to someone I didn't even "know". I got negative kickback about military guys "all being the same" or "wanting one thing"--or the worst one of all..."so what happens when he gets deployed? Could he die? What do you do then?"


These negative opinions  got pushed my way like an evil plague trying to dampen the happiness and spark I had found. One day, I crumbled...and it happened to be the same day Dane graduated from Ranger school. He finally had technology back, and I sent him a message on Facebook that I was having doubts about meeting him. I didn't want to fall for someone in the military. I felt ashamed and embarrassed. I still do when I look back, because I conceded to ridiculous social perceptions set by people who could never possibly understand.


 Thank goodness it doesn't end there...
I threw my inhibitions out the door and met up with Dane as soon as he came home.
I haven't looked back since. It's crazy how sometimes you take a leap of faith on someone like that and it turns out to be exactly what was meant to be all along. It's certainly not how I ever imagined my life--it's so much better.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you haven't met Alana yet, I am happy to introduce you!
This girl comes across the funniest situations and amazes me with her big heart!
She is a foster mom and has a masters. Definitely go see for yourself.

Photobucket

I used to... think that life was fair.
 Now I know... that good things come to those who wait and that hard work gets you far in life.
People see me... as a YOUNG, dumb blonde.
But I hope that they know... that I am very well-educated and WILL prove them wrong.
I blog because... I love to write and enjoy connecting with other bloggers.

Blog || Bloglovin'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I get judged for being a Military Spouse and a blonde, so I am LOVING these ladies today.
Fittingly, my daddy sent me these jokes yesterday, so I will leave you with some not so average blonde jokes...Thank me later ;)


 A friend told a blond man: "Christmas is on a Friday this year."
The blond man then said, "Let's hope it's not the 13th."
------------------------------------
Two blond men find three grenades, and they decide to take them to a police station.
One asked: "What if one explodes before we get there?"
The other says: "We'll lie and say we only found two."
------------------------------------
 A woman phoned her blonde neighbor man and said: "Close your curtains the next time you & your wife are having sex.
The whole street was watching and laughing at you yesterday."
To which the blond man replied: "Well the joke's on all of you because I wasn't even at home yesterday."
------------------------------------
 A blond man  is in the bathroom and his wife shouts: "Did you find the shampoo?"
He answers, "Yes, but I'm not sure what to do... it's for dry hair, and I've just wet mine."
------------------------------
A blond man goes to the vet with his goldfish.
"I think it's got epilepsy," he tells the vet.
The vet takes a look and says, "It seems calm enough to me".
The blonde man says, "Wait, I haven't taken it out of the bowl yet".
------------------------------------
A blond man shouts frantically into the phone
"My wife is pregnant and her contractions are only two minutes apart!"
"Is this her first child?" asks the Doctor.
"No", he shouts, "this is her husband!"
------------------------------------
An Italian tourist asks a blond man: "Why do Scuba divers always fall backwards off their boats?"
To which the blonde man replies: "If they fell forward, they'd still be in the boat.



25 comments:

Courtney said...

Haha great jokes!

Amy Laura said...

I love Kaits story it's so sweet!! Her and Dane look so happy! I can't wait till I get onto a computer tomorrow so I can see Alana's blog. Foster parents are so inspiring!!

Amy
Xx

P.S. I am still laughing from those jokes :)

Sam said...

Great stories :) I can totally relate to Alana's comment on how people see her as young & dumb. I run into that alot too.. but it's fun to prove people wrong! All of you Military spouses are amazing!

Lynn | Motherhood in Motion said...

Great ladies! As an Army sister, I watched my brother find his true love the same way Kait did!

P!nky said...

SUCH strong ladies, I love this serious!

Those blonde jokes are awesome!

xoxo

Nikki said...

I hate HATE that as military spouses you guys get such negative feed back when you first meet someone or your husband is deployed. I commend you all for being the amazing women you are to your military men!

Niken said...

my grandma was a military spouse, so i really know that you guys are great person!

Kait said...

Janna--you are the bomb. You must get that a lot ;) Thanks for letting me be part of something so special.

XO
Kait

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

Always love "meeting" and finding new army spouse Bloggers. Even more so ones from Hawaii!!!!

Rach said...

Haha! The jokes made me laugh. Love it.

Both these ladies sound amazing. Thanks for sharing their stories!

Dear Boys Love Mom said...

what wonderful ladies! And how beautiful is Kaits story?! I think they have a super sweet love story!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha - I love the jokes. Especially the last one! :) I used to know a ton of blonde jokes, but seem to have forgotten them.

I really think that our military and m-wives have the HARDEST jobs in terms of careers and in dealing with people being DUMB. You are awesome, and I'm sure Kait is as well. Going to check out both of the blogs!

And...I'm working on my perception post. ;)

Alana Christine said...

Thanks for allowing me to post on your blog!! The blonde jokes definitely made me laugh!

cynthia said...

Lovely ladies. Thanks for sharing them. :)

Pamela said...

Great ladies! The jokes are hilarious!

Chanel N5 said...

Ahah funny. :D

P.S. What do you think about following each other?
xoxo

Girls Love Fried Pickles said...

I think leaning on each other is the best form of support there is and this is one community that can do it the best.You share a bond some can never understand.

Amanda C. said...

I never knew people thought so negatively of military relationships. That is awful. On another note, those jokes are awesome.

Brittany said...

Ha I love those jokes

Unknown said...

I love both of these girls' blogs!!

Amanda said...

Loved hearing Kait's love story! I can't wait to go check out her blog!

My-cliffnotes said...

Love them already!!

Kate @ Daffodils said...

I love katis post. Kev and my relationship was over email while he was in Iraq and I was in my last semester of college. Once he for back, we were engaged within six months. Everyone thought I was crazy!! So inspiring to hear stories like these.

Nicole said...

Another round of great girls here! This is such a great project!

Jean said...

Wow! Honestly, I am shocked! I never really knew people were like that towards Military spouses/girlfriends. Some people are just so easy to judge, quite disgusting. However, more power to Kait! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...