Wednesday, January 7, 2015

OUR House!

Until 6PM on Tuesday, we weren't actually sure we were getting this house, so I felt like talking in depth about it would jinx it. Technically, we still won't own the house until it closes, but we have offered, signed contract, inspected, negotiated, and signed a whole new contract, which means...we pretty much have a house!


Teehee just joshin'! That was the half a million dollar house we got to check out on our way to lunch with the realtor. It was fun to look at, but this purchase is an investment to rent out. NOT our fantasy home. Actually, it's kind of weird that we found this house and we really did fall in love with it against the cardinal rule of "don't fall in love with an investment house". I don't actually know if that's the cardinal rule, but we've most certainly heard it a lot. 


So what made us fall in love with it? It was built in '73, but renovated this past year. They took it down to studs and replaced everything from the ground up, including expanding the square footage. You walk in and it feels like a a brand new house. New walls, floors, windows, HVAC, appliances, bathrooms, fixtures, roof, and the list goes on. A list of things that we would have to replace in all the other houses we looked at. Basically, an ideal investment for newbies like us, and that's why it was hard not to fall in love.











Did you get a load of that kitchen?! We will own ALL new EXPENSIVE appliances and we'll never even get to use them. A cryin' shame! As a matter of fact, anyone need an oven? I'm thinking a $3,000 oven is way too good much responsibility for tenants.


I guess you could say it's been a really fun process with ups and downs, which I will share along with the best advice we received along the way, but I think that should wait until we actually have the keys. Admittedly, we love this house, but we are also standing our ground on the few demands we have left after the last inspection. Like I said, we have signed a new contract including those contingencies, and still...we aren't putting our eggs in one basket. 
Momma didn't raise no fool.


29 comments:

Katie said...

Yay!!!
It is so cute!!!
I hope you will have better tenants then we did in our house :/ Good luck! Choose wisely!

Kenzie Smith said...

At first you had me going with that first picture and my jaw hit the ground ha ha! The house you guys are in the process of owning looks great -- I would definitely rent it from you ;) Do you guys plan on living there at all?

Anonymous said...

I was already packing my bags to come live with y'all in the multi-million dollar set-up... but I guess since my bags are already packed, I might as well not waste the trip ;)
Super cute house! We've got a house that was built in the 70s and we're in the (very slow) process of renovating it. And it's a pain, but somewhat fun? Kind of an oxymoron...

Jenn said...

It looks great inside and out!!! Sometimes you just KNOW when you walk into the house that's supposed to be yours. That's how we felt going into ours, and then every other house we saw after that just didn't measure up.
So excited for you two! Can't wait to hear more about it!!!

Ashley Lee said...

Such a pretty house!

P!nky said...

WOOOHOOO, lady! Love your house and think you are soooooo smart for investing!!! Can't wait to hear more. xoxo

Meredith @ Barbell Wardrobe said...

LOVE IT!!! you've found an amazing house like we did and i remember the feeling of oh please let this go through. ours is a bit older ('67) but totally remodeled in 2013 other than the old school doors inside its like a new home. Our feelings about our house were we some how got lucky enough to find one that if we didn't want to move out of we wouldn't have it. Enjoy it, and is that a screened in porch!??

Jen said...

What a great house! I am really excited for you guys. :)

Lynn | Motherhood in Motion said...

wahoo! super cute!

Sam said...

What an adorable house!! I would totally struggle with having that gorgeous new kitchen and not being able to use it! haha It will be worth it in the long run though!

Unknown said...

oh wow i LOVE that house soo much, really pretty:) and such a nice place for someone to rent, we have been renting here in Ireland for 6 years and only just got our own place, so great to finally say we own a place outright and such an achievement, well done youx

Cece @Mahogany Drive said...

It's gorgeous. Love the french doors. How can you not fall in love with it and want to live there yourself? There is a very lucky soon to be tenant out there. People will really want to live there so you will get to be really picky about who you put in there-which is always good.

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

That's the smart way to do it!

My husband is a realtor and always says the sale is final when the papers are signed. People can pull or not live up to promised improvements the morning of. I wish you the best and hope it's all smooth sailing!

Helene in Between said...

yay!! this is so exciting! and it's absolutely gorgeous!

Mandie said...

Very cute lil place. :)

Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

And the rent is how much? I can live in Florida for the next 6 months. Let's just consider this deal signed, sealed and delivered.

Fran @ Sassy Southern Bride said...

I love it! It would be hard not to want to move into it.

Kate @ Another Clean Slate said...

Congrats!! I love the kitchen!

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

What a cute house! Love the kitchen. I'd steal the stove for my house too! ;)

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

Ok, yes you totally had me going with the first house till I scrolled down. But for real, you house looks great and I hope everything falls in to place and you guys get what your wanting. Don't settle for less!!!! Looking forward to following you along this new journey.

Ashleigh said...

I love that first house its way too cute.. I love how when you see that house you think of history but whats better is someone could make the inside very up to date eek.. However, the house you two picked is cute too good luck on move in day :)

J and A said...

LOVE it!!! SO exciting!! So much fun to decorate and make it your own!! xo

Team O'Connor said...

It is really cute! I don't think it's bad to love it. Then you'll put the effort in to find people who will also love it and take care of it. Either way, how can you not love it?

Corie @ Life in the Mitten said...

How cool! I can't wait to hear more about this adventure :)

My husband is really interested in getting a rental property one day down the line.

Rach said...

Yeah, girl! How exciting! We've talked about buying an investment house or two, but haven't actually followed through yet. I hope you guys get awesome tenants!

Courtney B said...

Oh it looks perfect!! How exciting to be looking at something you will soon OWN! Ah! I don't blame you at all if you sell that oven and replace it with a cheaper one... pocket some cash!
We will never own an investment house because Eric would lose his mind over having renters! Seriously, he doesn't have the personality for it, HA!

Nicole said...

Looks like a really nice house.

Unknown said...

The house looks great. It’s good to know that you are quite satisfied with it. I think it’s a wise decision to make it an investment to rent, since a lot of people nowadays are into that. Anyway, I hope things are doing great for you guys. Have a nice day!


Justin Garrett @ Buzz Homes

Wilfred Andrews said...

That is an ideal investment property in so many ways. I think you are both making a good decision. For me, the most important feature is usually what my initial investment will be in terms of buying the house, renovating it, etc. That's followed by how much I can potentially earn because of its location, square footage and other considerations.

Wilfred Andrews @ LB Plumbing and Heating

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...