Wednesday, July 23, 2014

What The Hell Pinterest?

I was simply searching for arm exercises, and the next thing I knew, I feel like I'm going to throw up. I clicked on the following pin, and couldn't believe that it led me to a side of Pinterest that I have never seen. A dirty, scary side.





I'd like to keep Pinterest pretty clean in general, but there should not be a question as to whether  media promoting Eating Disorders are allowed. Freedom of Speech, shmeedom of shmeech, that doesn't apply when it's an influential site pushing ED on easily influenced pinners, and this isn't speech, it's just pictures! Pinterest may not be 'pushing' it exactly, but they obviously aren't stopping it.


How has Pinterest allowed media pushing Eating Disorders to run so rampant? Has there been no uproar about this? I hope I'm not the only one asking these questions, and I hope that something can be done. I am a Pinterest addict just like everyone else, but it's hard to support any site that 'supports' self harm directly or indirectly.

But let's not end on the negative. I was also inspired by Colbie Caillat's video that tells us all we are beautiful just as we are. It got me to thinking that we all have insecurities, and yet we think that our insecurities set us apart. How can that be if we all have them, and why do we always focus on our negative attributes? I still don't know the answer to that, but I think we all need to quit thinking that our 'problems' set us apart, and realize that it's our talents, hopes, and dreams, that make us special. You know I'm right.


If anyone has any suggestions about how to get Pinterest to remove all the horrid images, feel free to share. For now, I just hope I don't seem crazy for getting upset about this. Please tell me I'm not crazy, even if we all know I care too much at times.


19 comments:

P!nky said...

UGH, that's so incredibly scary and sad. Shame on Pinterest. Ever since I've gotten back from my long vacation, I've realized what a ridiculous time suck that site can be, so I've tried to stay away. Just unnecessary, unless I'm trying to find a certain picture or plan something.

I think the only thing we can do is FLAG pins that are inappropriate and that might get Pinterest involved. Or we could send letters and emails. That's about all I have.

I love Colbie and think she did such and amazing thing with her video!!!!

I saw a solider in uniform yesterday, and it made me think of you and Will. So I smiled, since I knew he was home! WEEEEE!!! yay! HI WILL! Y'all need a visit to DC soon…mmmmkay?

Lynn | Motherhood in Motion said...

I cannot believe that would allow this, but then again perhaps no one has said anything or flagged the posts. I agree with P!nky that we should flag them and get their attention.

So glad Will is home. I randomly saw a post about Hooters and thought of you.... and wings. xoxo

Cece @Mahogany Drive said...

I hate to say it but it'll never happen. All social media is inundated with pro ana and ED messages. The "you might like" feature just makes it very apparent on pinterest. I try not to look. Those images are really not good for me as an adult who knows better but it's 10X worse for impressionable young girls.

Mandie said...

Wow, that's some horrible stuff! Eeek! The things I see on Tumblr all the time disturb me. All these things about being useless & harming yourself & not being skinny enough. It's disgusting! Ugh!

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

You are not crazy!! It is so disturbing that that information is out there for those who struggle with ED's to find that kind of information. The support to continue doing it instead of getting help. So sad.

Kathryn B said...

You are not crazy. I didn't know those were on there, but then again I don't generally look up exercising on there, I'm looking up baking recipes :) It's disgusting and needs to be taken down!
It's true, we are always looking at what is wrong with us and how we don't measure up with someone else. I know I do it WAY too often. and I need to stop.

Anonymous said...

I could have sworn there was already a campaign to stop this on Pinterest or maybe I am thinking of tumblr?

Anonymous said...

I could have sworn there was already a campaign to stop this on Pinterest or maybe I am thinking of tumblr?

Maura said...

ugh it's so sad and terrifying. unfortunately there's not much we can do other than flag the pins. it's a terrifying side to the internet :(

Rach said...

You are not crazy. In fact, what's sad is that I don't think much about seeing images like that anymore. I mean, I always think that it's sad, but I'm not outraged by it anymore. Desensitization at its finest. :( You're right, though, something should definitely be done! If you find a petition, let me know - I'll sign it!

Amanda said...

Insanity. Like how is that even allowed?! Wish I knew how to remove it as well.

Kelly said...

I went down that road once and it made me so sad to see how many things people pinned and repined. My friend sent me an ECard last week that was the completely opposite, "Nobody ever wrote a song about a small butt".

Kait said...

These images DO need to be removed! There are people like myself who have struggled with eating disorders for years who see these things and get side tracked back in that "dark world" again. It's sad and it's scary. But, like a couple people above me said..that is the sick world we live in. Sigh...

Kenzie Smith said...

I am so with you on those images needing to be removed. Those are awful, and I can't believe that people would want to pin them and use them as inspiration. Those poor girls are skeletons and it makes my heart hurt for them. Not to mention I want to shove a cheeseburger down their throat in the nicest way possible. If you find out any way to get those images down, let me know because I would love to help you! There's a huge difference between being healthy and being skinny.

Courtney B said...

Oh yikes... that is so awful! I've never seen any of this on Pinterest and to be honest, it breaks my heart that woman feel the need to pin these images!! Like really? That inspires you?! Eating disorders are a MENTAL disability... why would someone invest time in creating these images to encourage self destruction?!
HEART. BROKEN!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that is SO unbelievably sad... I'm kind of shocked by it too. :(

Jamie Hart said...

That's really sad stuff.. the kind of stuff that makes naive girls get disorders and large women cringe (aka me).

Brittany said...

Those things make me so upset! MY sister is 13 and extremely active in social media, it scares me to think she may come across those things.

Nicole said...

It's sad that anyone would pin that to begin with!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...