Friday, July 25, 2014

Nine Months Or Three Weeks, I Still Miss Him

I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that this homecoming was harder than the last deployment. You'd think nine months would trump a measly twenty-one days, but I was able to talk to him throughout the deployment, had an idea of his mental state, and didn't have three weeks of irrational thoughts and fear running around my brain.

But let's go back, because the planning for the homecoming actually started before the school began. As we've been learning lately, his new position comes with spousal responsibilities that I have not had prior experience with, and one such 'job' finds us responsible for throwing a homecoming for the class. It was a little surprising to know that a group of about ten of us would have to come up with the funds, plan, and execute a homecoming for 80 soldiers, but it turned out to be a bonding experience and helped us pass the time while they were all gone.

As usual, I also spent weeks working on his pile'o goodies, and I may have outdone myself...The beer selection was impeccable, there were snacks galore, and I pricked my fingers a million times on those dang roses. You know my motto: "Let the wife make the husband glad to come home & let him make her sad to see him leave." 
Obviously, I take it seriously...


I found the banana idea on Pinterest, but my little sayings are the best part. Just sayin'"Report for booty and peel me like a banana" and "Your Banana is banana's for you" are quite appropriate if I do say so myself.{ Insert self high five}

Okay, so after we spent a month and a half working on this homecoming, guess what happened? It stormed all morning. We were already extremely nervous picking up our husbands from the hardest training they will EVER experience, and we probably weren't even going to be able to show them what we had worked so hard on. You'd think after all the planning, volunteering, baking, and legitimate blood, sweat, and tears we would be devestated, but between the relief of having our soldiers home and realizing that the whole process brought us all closer together, we understood that it was all worth it regardless.



And you know what? Seeing the smiles on their faces when they laid eyes on us showed that we were what they were looking forward to, and then hearing that thoughts of us were what got them through the rough times made it ALL worth it. It was clear that the traditions and goodie bags were the last things on their mind, and we really can't complain about that. You can't complain about much of anything when they wrap their arms around you ;)


You'd think I couldn't love my husband anymore, and then he goes and slips the following into a conversation we were having: "As I walked through the woods talking to a Tech about being away from you, I told him 'I was thinking it sucks to be away, but then I get to fall in love with her all over again when I come home."
I mean, I feel this way every time he comes home, but I didn't know he did or at least that he would have voiced the feelings to a stranger in public. Just when I think he can't be anymore perfect on the scale of human perfection, he makes me woozy like a school girl... That's how you keep love alive, people!


One last final shout out out to thank Chik-fil-A for their amazing generosity in donating thirty gift cards to a bunch of soldiers that had to forage in the woods for weeks at a time. They were happy when they got to eat in the DFAC {dining facility}, so you can only imagine how excited a warm, hearty chicken sandwich could make them. And to the Army...you may take my husband away more than I like, but I can't deny that I enjoy falling in love with him over and over again. 


20 comments:

P!nky said...

I can totally see how this training was tough, not being able to talk to your husband for that long just isn't fun at all.

Your bananas are so stinking cute, I love the report for booty, haha. All you wifies did awesome, I know the men appreciated the hard work, even with a stormy morning.

The two pictures with Will are so sweet, y'all are just the cutest couple out there, for reals. And I just adore y'alls attitude. You could whine and complain constantly, but you look at it as a way to fall in love again and again.

<3 you sweet friend!

Jenn said...

I think it makes a lot of sense....and you know what...even if it doesn't "make sense" to someone, who cares? It's your truth. In the end, I'm glad that you have your soldier back. I hope he went "bananas" for your booty ;)

Caravan Sonnet said...

I can't even begin to imagine the sacrifice that you and so many other military spouses make every single day. I (and so many other people!!) see y'all as the unsung heroes! I am so glad that your soldier is back - this looks like an adorable homecoming! The bananas made me laugh out loud! Thank you so much for your sacrifice and your husbands as y'all serve our country! We are so grateful!!
:) Rebecca

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

Awww! I love this post. All the work you ladies did, what your husband said in the woods, and your banana sayings all rock.

Pamela said...

Awwwwwwww gahhh! What he said was pure perfection! SO SWEET! Love the banana idea!

Lisette said...

This was such a sweet post! The fact that he said that to a total stranger would melt my heart too! #swoon!

Melzie at Ribbons and Rotor Blades said...

I love this post!! And I'm glad he's home. I'm returning to St. Louis today for some post-cancer procedures and scans and we found out a few days ago that my husband will leave for SERE in Maine just 2 days before my return :/ I wish he didn't have to do this again or that I could see him before he boards that plane :(
And I agree, I think the same when I see Nick after time away, but you always wonder if they feel that way too. It's too cute that he vocalized it to someone else!!!

Cece @Mahogany Drive said...

Heart melting when I read that he says he gets to fall in love with you. So sweet!!! And with you on the committee I know the party was a hit. I Love your motto too!!

Jamie Hart said...

You are so dang creative! I know who to call if I ever need to plan anything special!!

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet. Absolutely loved reading this and you two are the cutest!!

xx 365hangers

Ashley said...

I love all the work you guys put into this homecoming! Thats so sweet what your husband said, and I love your motto! My husband is gone for 21 days right now also.. Just waiting for the 'falling in love all over again' part to get here!!

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

This is the sweetest! He sure is lucky to have you! And that banana thing..adorable.

Amanda said...

Oh my gosh! So sweet! And girl... I feel ya on the not being able to chat being worse than the 9 month deployments. Rob leaves for wocs next month and I am nervous because for 5 weeks he will not be just a phone call away. I will literally be on my own with whatever happens with me, the house, the baby, etc. It gives me anxiety just thinkin of it now!

Unknown said...

its always hard waiting for someone. when they do come the wait is worth it

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

so sweet! i can't imagine how hard it is being away from loved one for so long!

Nicole said...

So cool you guys did that for them and I'm sure they appreciated it! So is there a difference in your color of shirts or is that just what y'all picked?

Rach said...

I almost flipped my lid when I saw a post title that began "9 months..." Girl! You can't just do that to me. Still trying to slow my heart, haha! Okay, now that I realize you aren't announcing a pregnancy... haha!

I'm glad you got to see your sweet husband after all that time away!

Brittany said...

Those bananas are awesome!! Love it. You did a great job welcoming home all of the soldiers :)

Chloe said...

Swoooon. All over the place. I love this post. It's beautiful to see two people who love each other so much.

Team O'Connor said...

You are an angel for taking such great care of everyone! Thank you again for all of the support. It was so nice to see you and Loni there waiting for us :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...