Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Summa' Time Casserole

Summer is almost over, but that doesn't mean you can't squeeze in some yummy summer food!  Or if you procrastinate like me- you can just make this recipe more fall/winter appropriate when the time comes...I'm positive that I will be making a heartier version when I need some warmin' up from the inside out. It's so easy, you'll want to make it all the time. Seriously.

Slice and steam up some lovely veggies:


Open a can of Cream of Chicken condensed soup.  
Excuse my brand choice, but it's all we had on hand for my impromptu casserole...
(Not that I'm against store brands, but will choose a healthier version in the future.  Have time? Make your own base with Heavy cream and/or eggs)


Once the veggies start lookin' like this:


Drain them and transfer to a mixing bowl.  I decided to add some canned corn apparently.
As you can see: 


Not pictured: Pour Cream of Chicken on and add seasoning, stir in gently, but thoroughly and spoon into a buttered casserole dish.
I also added more seasoning on top for good measure:


Grab this amazing bag from your pantry...wait...you don't have these wondrous breadcrumbs?  Then you better run, not walk, to whatever store you have near you that carries them! A lot of main stream markets have them, but if not try Whole Foods or a Natural food store.  Believe me- they are worth the effort.


Sprinkle the breadcrumbs liberally on top...You need the nice crunchy topping to offset the soft veggies.  It's a GREAT contrast.  Especially if you or your significant other are like my husband.  He requires all meals to have crunch.  Toss it in the oven on 350 for 30 minutes or so and YUMMERS. 
Feel free to turn on the broiler at the end to brown the top:


I paired it with some peas, which ended up being mixed in, which was awesome, so feel free to add them in to the casserole itself.  That's the great thing about casseroles-  the more nonsense you put in, the better it turns out!


You know you like my divided plate...Not only is it snazzy, but I can control my serving sizes and green appeases your appetite, so that you don't gorge yourself. #winwin

At a Glance:

2 med. Zucchini 
2 med. Yellow Squash
1 med. Onion
1 tbsp. Butter
1 can Corn, Peas and any other Veggies you so choose.
1 can Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup
1 c. Panko Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs
1 tbs. Basil
1 tbs. Thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

Slice zucchini, yellow squash, and onion. Steam until tender. Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl- adding corn or other veggies of choice and spoon into greased casserole dish. Top with Breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Broil to brown, if necessary.

* Don't forget- The more you add to it, the bigger casserole dish. Common sense, but alas-  I get over zealous and forget...I admit...
 

2 comments:

Katie said...

This looks delicious! Definitely will be giving this a try!

Janna Renee said...

It's so easy and so yummy!! Enjoy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...