Friday, May 29, 2015

The Secret To MY Easy Pregnancy

This post is strictly about my experience, helpful knowledge that I have found, and advice I've been given. There is no denying the benefits of fitness and nutrition, but I realize that every pregnancy is different. Just want to make that clear ;)

I must admit, every time someone has said "Don't be intimidated by the pregnant chick running faster than you" or "You make me feel inadequate when you outrun me", it's a BIG ego boost. Not that I'm trying to outrun anyone these days and I'm certainly not running as fast as I used to, but it's an amazing feeling to be defying everything I've ever heard about pregnancy. I truly believe that between fitness and my healthy eating habits, I have found the formula to the perfect pregnancy {FOR ME} and I think all you non-preggers need to take note before you are faced with morning sickness and back problems. Yup...I've avoided all those pesky symptoms. 


The trick is starting these habits well before you get pregnant to have the most effect and to be SAFE.  You want to know the biggest secret? While Will was deployed everyone talked about how easy it is to get pregnant when the boys return, so I started working out with the mindset that if I accidentally got pregnant I would be fit and ready. Some may say that was my biological clock ticking, but all I knew was that I didn't want to end up like friends I've had that were lethargic, miserable, and in some cases bed ridden because their bodies were not 'primed' AS THEY PUT IT. That being said, here's why you should start now and keep going on strong:

1. Any fitness routine for any reason will boost confidence, improve body image, make clothes fit better, and up your immune system along with a long list of miscellaneous benefits. Yadda, yadda, yadda... I know this has been shoved down your throat for years.

2. When you have an established routine, your doctor will tell you to keep on keepin' on if you get pregnant. There are a few restrictions that must be considered, but my OB told me that my pregnancy and labor would be a LOT easier if I was able to maintain a routine. Even if you have to slow down, modify your routine, and take breaks, you are still burning major calories cooking a baby and working out. Matter of fact, they say a pregnant woman laying  on the couch burns more calories than a body builder. Hence why any activity has even more effect than normal. Good bye every ounce of fat and water weight on my body, and hello healthy pregnancy!

3. Just as a good massage helps balance hormones, exercise does too. They say that massage during pregnancy helps to regulate the hormones associated with stress, relaxation, and mood: norepinephrine, cortisol, seratonin, and it has been found that exercise has the same effect! My doctor asked Will if I had any mood swings up until five months and he really couldn't think of any. Sure I've gotten a tidge bit weepy lately, but 99% of the time I'm overly happy and 'love everything', i.e. the watermelon cake, how nice people are to pregnant women, how sweet my husband is, etc...I can even tell a difference between the hormones when I work out and the recovery days. Plus they say the regulation of these are said to help with complications throughout the pregnancy and leads to an easier delivery. Please be true...please be true!!

4. Remember I mentioned water weight? The fluids that you gain during pregnancy are actually what make women 'blow up' {well, other than ice cream and other terrible cravings}. Your body DOUBLES the levels of blood and other fluids to make a baby, so between that and natural water retention you can easily feel bloated and even develop pregnancy complications. But alas, there is hope! Even 'easy' pregnancy friendly exercises that have never exercised before can prevent water retention. I had feared this the most, because honestly, I've always retained water. Other than detoxes and clean eating, I've never even seen my abs or my real arm muscles, but now that I'm working out while pregnant I've dropped EVERY BIT of water weight I carried! If that's not a good enough reason to get going, then I don't know what is.

5. I don't know if this is concrete fact, but I read that nausea could be associated with sugar levels, and that makes sense to me because I've been managing my Hypoglycemia for seven years with fitness and nutrition and I never even got nauseous once. I also think that these practices have had some effect on controlling my cravings and allowing me to make healthier choices, which could be the magical combination for an 'easy pregnancy'. 

Now I know this sounds unappealing and daunting to those that aren't about that 'fit life', because I was you a few years ago, but I can promise you that if you get pregnant you will regret not getting started as you think of this post if you are part of the unlucky group that lives in the bathroom and simultaneously gains 60 pounds. More importantly, think of your baby. I could care less about these bonus benefits because I know that I'm being healthy for her. This is also why you need to speak with your OB about your personal fitness and know how to do it safely. As much as I LOVE running, I made the decision yesterday that I ran my last mile of this pregnancy. It's putting stress on my lower abdomen even with a maternity support belt, so I'm sticking to core workouts to keep her safe. My motivation is to be the best wife and mother that I can be physically and mentally, and I'm completely okay with that.


Until getting pregnant, I would look in the mirror and see things I still needed to work on. Now, I look in the mirror and think "Look how my hard work has created the perfect vessel for my baby." Because I sweat, she will be healthier, because I condition, she will be stronger, because I am dedicated, she will enter this world ahead of the game, and that's what keeps me going.





PS. I am very interested in hearing experiences of other pregnancies out there, good and bad! Especially personal experiences, and how it affected your labor and delivery.

14 comments:

Jenn said...

I think it's awesome that you've been fit before, and maintained being fit throughout your pregnancy. It's so important whether you are pregnant or not.
I will say, I don't know that all of these solve all of those issues you mention. A friend of mine was a great fit person who worked out regularly and watched what she ate, and she is now on bed rest. Obviously, stuff happens, but I think it's true that you need to do everything you can to make sure that you keep those things at bay. And it sounds like you've been doing that with flying colors!! Go you, fit mama!!

Jen said...

I agree that it's important to stay fit and healthy before and after pregnancy, however some people are just different. You did great though! :)

Steph said...

I was never sick, nauseous, or anything else during my pregnancy and while I worked out a moderate amount and ate a semi-healthy diet - I think I just got lucky ;) Some of the most fit people I know have the worst pregnancies! Glad it's going well - you are in the homestretch!

Jen Mc said...

You look fantastic!!!! I'm glad you're feeling good too.
Enjoy your weekend my lovely friend.

Nikki said...

You look great! I am sooooo glad I was so healthy and fit when I got pregnant and continued staying healthy and continued working out durning and even to this day! It's one of the best things you can do for yourself and CQB. You will no doubt bounce back really fast after you have her too! Another perk! Welcome to the home stretch!

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I love your thoughts on this! I know the moms I know that remained active had great labor experiences and found it easier to bounce back.

Becca said...

OMG my eyeballs just almost fell out of my head! I say this as I have progressively taken the last month off from the gym, because I've been slammed working two jobs, planning a wedding, organizing a cross country move, and buying furniture for an entire brand new house and reorganizing it in storage every other day. Brendon's deployed and I keep excusing myself that it's okay to not hit the gym because he's gone and I don't need to be sexy 24/7 and i'm busy. And now i'm all like "OMG what if we make a baby when he gets home unintentionally". Needless to say i'll be hitting the pavement for a nice run on this incredibly muggy Friday later. You've reminded me that I absolutely cannot let myself go during this deployment. I'll get back to my running and the gym, but shaving my legs is probably out of the question. ;) LOL. Love this! Love you! Thank you for this post!

Mandie said...

That is some great advice, girlie! & you look adorable in your bikini with your preggo belly hanging out - love it! :)

Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

Alana Livingston said...

Thanks for the tips! I have been trying to work out more for this exact reason! I want to be in the best shape of my life before I get pregnant so I'm working hard! haha

Anonymous said...

While every pregnancy is different, I definitely have to agree that fitness and nutrition make a HUGE difference. My first pregnancy I worked out every day and ate a whole foods diet and I never felt more beautiful in my life. My second pregnancy I was completely exhausted from my first kid and having a deployed husband and I did not take care of myself like I should and was sick and tired the whole pregnancy. I'm determined not to let that happen again next time we try! Thanks for the practical tips :)

P!nky said...

You're a rockstar, lady! I applaud your effort!

Lindsay Erin said...

100% agree with this post! I think you look fabulous and you have created an amazing vessel for that sweet babe. *(Emailed you)*

Stephanie said...

I agree that it is important to start those routines before you are pregnant. However, I don't know if it is the secret to the perfect pregnancy. I ran half marathons and did weight lifting and ate fairly healthy before I was pregnant, and I was on bedrest at the beginning and the end of my pregnancy due to hormonal issues and other complications. Sometimes things are just out of your control! But you better believe it that I asked every appointment when my bedrest would be lifted and what exercises I could do! I think every little bit that you are allowed to do will help. I am so happy that you have had a beautiful experience. I would never wish someone to be on bedrest or feel the way that I did! But I will agree with you that it is important to lay a healthy foundation while you can! I think that because I had that healthy lifestyle before, it was much easier for me to bounce back when I was given the all clear from the doctor.

Rach said...

Oh man, I hope I have an experience similar to yours. I eat a balanced diet, exercise daily, and lead a pretty active life. But my sister also did those things and had horribly difficult pregnancies. My mom, however, had the easiest pregnancies. She said she always loved when she was pregnant with one of us because she felt so great. I'm hoping I take after her. :)

Regardless of what my experience will be, I'm SO glad that you've had such a great experience! It's encouraging to hear the few good stories that people have about being pregnant, haha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...