Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Coconut Sriracha Popcorn

Have you ever been the only non-senior in a Senior Center? It wasn't on my bucket list, but I went over to Grandma's yesterday, and it happened to be her brown-bag lunch day at church. We made chicken salad together, and then went to hang out with the 80-somethings. They seemed surprised to see me, but I've been going to Sunday school with my grandma and grandpa {may he rest in peace} since I was born. I think they were most surprised when I mentioned I was married. They thought I was fourteen, let alone old enough to get married. When I told them that I was twenty-eight, they 'bout fell out'a their chairs. I get that a LOT, but it still cracks me up.

The conversations ranged from sex on their wedding nights {whoah} all the way to recipes, and one that they thought most intriguing was our new popcorn recipe. The ones that didn't have crowns said they would totally try it, so I decided to share it for all of you. I got the original idea through Pinterest {shocker} and Reclaiming Provincial, and then we edited for our needs. Basically, we took out the salt and used the microwave, but hey, it worked.


4 cups popcorn (26 grams unpopped)
3 Tbsp butter
1-2 Tbsp coconut oil (depending on how much you love Coconut)
2 Tbsp Sriracha

We prefer using our air popper for the healthiest version, but you could use bagged or pop on the stove. While it's popping, mix up the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and pop it in the microwave for two minutes. Now here's the secret, you want to slowly spoon the mixture on while stirring so that it will evenly distribute and not over-saturate the kernels, and then enjoy this slightly spicy, coconutty, yumminess while it's warm!



Just make sure you don't eat the popcorn as your dinner followed by margaritas. You will be drunk in point-five seconds. Or do, if you are into that kind of thing ;)

Now I'm off to pick up grandma to go see my aunt and uncle. I can't even put into words how thankful I am that I have this family time right now. The fact that I have one grandma within walking distance and one a few miles away makes me giddy like a school girl. Literally...it brings me back to childhood. How did I get so lucky?


15 comments:

The Pink Growl said...

This sounds amazing!! I love all things sriracha!

Helene in Between said...

popcorn is my favorite food!! I need to try this!

Kenzie Smith said...

That sounds really interesting, I've never tried sriracha. We might have to give this a go!

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

This sounds so good. I love coconut and sriracha!

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

my husband would die for this. he lives on sriracha!

-kathy | Vodka and Soda

Whitney @ EHFAR said...

I've never even had sriracha :-\

Nicole said...

Definitely take advantage of spending time with them!!

Rach said...

Aww, I love that you are getting to spend time with both grandmothers right now! And girl, I have so been the only young person in a room full of people decades older than me. When I would visit my grandparents in the summers I would always go to "afternoon church" on Wednesdays with them (because the elderly folks didn't want to wait up for the 7pm service). And it was always me with a bunch of elderly people. But they were always the sweetest. And had known my mom since she was born so they have always adored me too. :) Sounds like a similar set up there! Anyway, enjoy every minute with family!

Emily @ Martinis | Bikinis said...

How funny..the conversations that seniors have! The popcorn looks soo good!

Jean said...

ha - i think our skin treats us well because we treat out body well. ;) i drop jaws when i tell ppl my age, too. sometimes, i don't ever tell them my age anymore. i'm older than you! :)

i've been eating stove top popped popcorn lately. i want to try this recipe as i LOVE sriracha!!

oh, and my bf's mom is the activities director at an assisted living home and does a great job!

My-cliffnotes said...

Yum that sounds so tasty.

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

Enjoy every minute with your grandma's I'd give anything fior one more day with mine!

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

I NEED this in my life!

Jessah @ Dreaming of Dimples said...

Yum! Deliciousness.

Anonymous said...

This sounds really cool. I like the sweet/spicy salty/sweet combos. Btw I'm about finished with "The End of Overeating"... complete mind warp, in a good way.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...