Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Hypo-WHAT?

Well my dears, the time has come for me to go in depth about my healthy eating/weight loss tips, as a thank you for reaching 100 Facebook Followers!
I was just going to give you the tips, but then I realized that in order for you to understand how and why I learned these tips, you needed to learn a little more about my back ground.
We all have a story, right?

About four years ago, I started having mood swings, dizziness, fatigue, irritability and other unexplainable symptoms.  They began slowly, one-by-one, like they were trying to sneak-attack me and before I knew it, I was all outa' whack with no idea why all this was happening.
Like I explained in Our Fairytale- Chapter 2, it was even tough on my relationship with my husband.
I would throw hissy fits out of no where and he wouldn't even know what hit him.  Somehow, he realized that these hissy fits correlated with my empty tummy, and he would shove food at me until I ate.  Thank goodness he knows me better then I knew myself or I never would have figured out the problem.

I had developed Hypoglycemia.


Source: google.com via Janna on Pinterest


Now Hypoglycemia is not a disease in and of itself. It is an indicator of much more.

Symptoms

Confusion, abnormal behavior or both, such as the inability to complete routine tasks
Visual disturbances, such as double vision and blurred vision
Seizures, though uncommon
Loss of consciousness, though uncommon
Heart palpitations
Tremor
Anxiety
Sweating
Hunger


You don't have to have all of the symptoms to have hypoglycemia, but let's just say- I have all of them but one.  That made it pretty easy for me to diagnose myself. Thank you WebMD. 
I probably should have gone to the doctor, but everything I found told me how hard it is to get doctors to listen or to find one that knows how to treat it. Instead, I began researching and creating my own eating regimen. It was not meant to be a diet, but ended up teaching me a LOT about how bad I was in my eating habits.

Let me just tell you right now....I DO NOT advocate "Dieting". 
Unfortunately, society has turned diet into a four letter word, and I will not now or ever help you with a "diet".  I know some of you are all like, "but you said...?"
Yes, I said weight loss, but there was a backslash and a "healthy eating" attached.
If you think tomorrow's post is going to divulge some magical elixir to allow you to scarf cheeseburgers with two sides of fries and see results, you might as well not read it.
But if you want to know some life style changes that have blown my mind with the results?
Be ready for tomorrow!


As for the rest of the Hypoglycemia story, I did finally go get tested, and not surprisingly I was right.
I know all of you moms out there will recognize this:


It's like drinking a whole bottle of Triaminic.
Doesn't sound or taste bad, until you only have a few minutes left, and you end up having to struggle to get all that sugar down. The other awkward thing was that the nurse asked when I was due...

"Um...Do you know something that I don't know??"

Come to find out, she was assuming (makes and @ss out of you and me) that I was taking the test because I was preggers. No m'am. No thank you.

The test didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but they did inform me that I am Pre-Diabetic and have to go to an Endocronologist. I still don't know what an Endocronologist is, but it sounds important.


In case your interested in reading more or you think you might have similar issues:

17 comments:

My-cliffnotes said...

Is it tomorrow I'm ready .

xoxo

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

Let's keep the week rolling chicka!!!

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

Janna, I'm really interested in hearing more about your story. I have felt in the past that I also have hypoglycemia, however, when I had my blood sugar tested at the doctor, she said everything was fine. I'd like to see what your diet consists of and maybe by making some changes to my own, it will having me feeling better soon!

CeCe said...

Looking forward to hearing more. Before and after pics....oooh la la!!

TwoFourFive said...

I totally advocate going to an endocrinologist! I had to go last year and I learned soooo much about how my body works. Can't wait for tomorrows post!

Alice said...

Looking forward to tomorrow. :)

J and A said...

I have been waiting for tomorrows post!! Yay!!

Breenah said...

If you do ever have to do the glucose test again I recommend the lime flavor. It tastes like Fruit Loops.

Unknown said...

Both of my sisters and my dad are diabetic. Any issues with the pancreas are no fun. I'm sorry you have to deal with it, but you seem to have a positive attitude!

Kelly { MessyDirtyHair } said...

wow interesting...i wonder if my sister might be experiencing that. interesting. thanks for posting this lover! ooo i cannot wait for tomorrow!!! im hosting a target giftcard giveaway on my blog, come enter lover! loveyouuu xoxo kelly

Chell said...

My daughter has her first endocrinologist appointment on Wednesday morning!

Nicole said...

oooo ooooo I kind of know this one... the Endocrine system is a system in your body that regulates it by secreting hormones directly into your blood stream. Not to be mixed up with exocrine which uses ducts to get the hormones in your body. We learned about this in A&P this semester. So I would say the Endocrinologist studies those hormones and why they do and don't go into your bloodstream correctly :) Sorry Just had to share I learned something :)

Zara said...

I am so with you on the whole diet thing. I don't think diets work EVER. As my grandpa says, if it worked there wouldn't be so many different ones.

As far as an Endocrinologist goes, they're pretty much the big wigs when it comes to diabetes and prevention/treatment. My dad has a pretty good one (Dr. Sarah Bulle) if you do need one. She's the only one who's finally got his meds right to control his type 2.

Can't wait to see what you've got going on for tomorrow miss! <3

Anonymous said...

I get a little dizzy and nauseous if I don't eat frequently enough, but I don't think that I have hypoglycemia. The symptoms sound much worse than what I experience.
As for that nasty nasty glucose drink, ugh makes me shudder just thinking about it. I have never had such a hard time drinking something in my life. I felt so queasy, and it didn't settle right with me. I was so glad to get it done and over with. Ugh, yuck.

Megan said...

I'm so glad that you found out what was wrong!! So scary!! Low blood sugars are dangerous!!

Amanda said...

Even though you've already made some healthy lifestyle changes to deal with the hypoglycemia, check out dLife.com for diabetes-friendly recipes. There are tons! Even though you're not diabetic, it's good to try out some new recipes that are in the hypoglycemia realm :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...