Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My First Encounter With Tofu...

I've never been that interested in using Tofu at home due to the pesticides, genetic variances and negative effects on males, but it was on sale at Costco ($4 for 2 pckgs!!) and I figured it can't be worse than anything else I buy in a grocery store.  I wanted to, at the very least, have some experience with the product, ergo I scooped some up and scoured the internet for recipes.  Will is always very open to everything I make, and thus I was not worried about him not eating it, but I did want him to look forward to the meal.  That's why when I stumbled upon a BBQ TOFU recipe, the deal was sealed.  What man can say no to BBQ? 

Even better news, it was extremely easy to make and decently yummy. 

For 2-3 servings:
1 package of Tofu
1 bottle of BBQ sauce
(I used Stubbs because it had the lowest calories and still tastes great)
.....
yep that's it ;) 

Just cut the Tofu into 1/4 inch slices, press out the excess moisture, coat with BBQ and lay in a greased baking sheet or pan.  Bake at 425-450 for 30-45 minutes.  Tofu doesn't have to be cooked, so just bake it to the crispiness you desire!


I suggest pairing it with a vegetable medly that is well seasoned, so that the BBQ Tofu doesn't over power the meal.  My medley consisted of broccoli, spinach, peas, carrots, cilantro, garlic, pepper and a bbq rub thrown in during the sautee to connect it with the Tofu.  I was able to cook the medley while the Tofu baked, so it was extremely efficient!


THE FINISHED PRODUCT:


Add some BBQ to dip and you are complete ;)


4 comments:

Tomato Mama and Duck Mama said...

I just tried tofu for the first time the other day as well. I think this recipe looks quick and easy! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try to pick up some more organic tofu when it's on sale and try it out!

Janna Renee said...

It was so INCREDIBLY EASY!! Enjoy!!

Emily said...

Was considering making BBQ Tofu that I had seen on Pinterest, but you make it sound so much simpler! Thank you! :)

Unknown said...

Hey! So glad I found your blog...fellow military spouse here! Fist-bump.

I'm so surprised I have never thought of this. I lived in Japan for four years and LOVE tofu, AND I'm from Texas. How did I not think of this?! Thanks for the inspiration. Totally trying it!

www.mylifeinverbs.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...