Monday, February 28, 2011

My New Secret Ingredient: Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup!!

I haven't bought chocolate syrup in years because if I have it, I'll use it.  Luckily, my husband decided he wanted to start drinking chocolate milk as a post work out drink, so I gave in and got it after reading that it really is tauted as truly efficient.  Boy was I happy when I compared the regular and the sugar free and found that the sugar free only had 16 CALORIES!!  That meant that I could use it too and not feel bad (or at least not as bad ;)

My first thought was to use it in my new brownie recipe I got.  You are honestly not going to believe the ingredients:


And yes, those black beans are meant to be there!!  Theyare a substitute for flour!

INGREDIENTS

-1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
-3 eggs [always use egg whites or egg substitute]
-3 tablespoons vegetable oil [You can sub applesauce and prunes to accentuate the chocolate flavor and also lessen the calories]
-1/4 cup cocoa powder [Unsweetened-dark is the best choice]

-1 pinch salt [Sea Salt]
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract [you could even play with this and try almond or coconut extract]

-3/4 cup white sugar [Don't use regular sugar!! Use splenda or sucralose.  They are safe for use and add NO CALORIES]

-1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional) [I used hazlenut and it gave the brownies a great hazlenut flavor]

-1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)  [I DID NOT USE THESE SINCE CHOCOLATE CHIPS ARE A LOT OF CALORIES! THIS IS WHERE I ADDED THE SUGAR FREE CHOCOLATE SYRUP]


PREPARATION

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish.
2. Combine the black beans, eggs, oil, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, sugar, and instant coffee in a blender; blend until smooth; pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the mixture.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 30 minutes.

Now they aren't going to taste exactly like traditional brownies, but they have a wonderfully fudgy texture and you will forget all about the difference when you realize your saving around 200 calories per brownie!!!
This recipe is 126 calories per serving, but if you use my [suggestions], then it could be as low as 50 calories PER SERVING! YAY!  Not to mention, you are also getting protein and fiber from the black beans.  Low Cal and healthy?...I'll have two please!!

I have also been using it on my soy milk icecream, putting a tidge in my All Bran, which makes it taste like cocoa pebbles (I'm serious) and my favorite was adding it to my pancakes!  By using sugar free syrup and sugar free chocolate syrup instead of regular syrup and chocolate chips, I saved 250 CALORIES!! (and that's a minimum, since most people eat a stack of pancakes, filled with chocolate chips and doused in full-cal syrup)



It's ok to indulge if you do it my way ;)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...